Prayer Chaplain Recruitment & Orientation
Time & Location
About the Event
Are you being called to the Prayer Chaplain program?
You are invited to explore the role of prayer in your life and in our spiritual community. Join us at one of the chaplain orientation sessions:
- Sunday, March 29, at 10:20 a.m.
- Sunday, April 5, at 12:30 p.m.
- Wednesday, April 8, at 6:15 p.m.
The orientation sessions are an opportunity to learn more, ask questions and see if this is the year for your prayer life to be transformed!
What is a Prayer Chaplain? The role of an SLC Prayer Chaplain is, quite simply, to pray. Chaplains are not counselors or advice-givers. The core commitment is to:
- Hold sacred space
- Lovingly listen
- Pray from the heart
- Hold in confidence what is shared
- Have a personal spiritual practice
Time commitment: Prayer Chaplains make a
one-year commitment to provide the following services:
- Maintain a personal prayer practice
- Be “in service” at three services each month
- Complete wellness contact once a month
- Attend prayer chaplain training once a month
- Hold the congregation in prayer
- Optional: occasionally provide home or hospital visits to congregants
Membership: Prayer Chaplains are required to be members of Spiritual Life Center, and be of support to our spiritual community.
What to expect: Please arrange your personal calendar to include one chaplain orientation session and all dates listed below, as attendance is mandatory to become a prayer chaplain.
Personal interview: A 15-minute interview with a Prayer Chaplain representative will be scheduled before new chaplain training.
New chaplain training: Friday, April 24, 6 p.m. to 9 p.m.;
Saturday, April 25, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. and
Monday, April 27, 6 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.
Wellness call training: Prayer chaplains reach out to congregants with monthly Wellness Prayer Calls. Training is Sunday,
June 7, 1:00 to 5:00 p.m.
World Day of Prayer: Wednesday night service, September 9, 5:30 p.m. to 9:00 p.m.
Prayer Chaplain dedication: Sunday, May 31, at the 11 a.m. service
Exploring Prayer Class: Foundation requirement offered in February. An independent study option is available.
Q Process: To strengthen our foundation of a compassionate and allowing approach to self and others, chaplains must complete Q Process training within their first year of chaplaincy, if not already taken. Classes will be offered throughout 2020.
Training and materials costs: Manual, reference book, stole, name tag, weekend training $150
(Material costs are one-time costs and loaner items are available to reduce costs as needed.)
Limited scholarship are available by application.
Want to learn more?
- Attend an orientation
- Stop by the chaplain table in the Sunday courtyard for a prayer
- Contact Prayer Chaplain Director Sheri Rain at (916) 837-0834 or email@example.com